Monday, April 15, 2013

Speaking of Allusions...

Welcome once again to our awesome class blog!  As we said in class, and I mentioned in the last post, an allusion is a reference to one work within another.  With that fresh in your minds now, I have a question for y'all (Yes, I said y'all.  Sometimes I'm lazy in both the spoken and written forms.  And fun fact: I really like some of the country music out there.  And cowboy boots.  Just in case you're looking for gift ideas for me...it's never too late to acknowledge my birthday!).

Anyway, who has seen Coraline?  For those who haven't, it is a Tim Burton-esque film directed by Henry Selick, and very well made.  I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it was a bit scary in a "careful what you wish for" kind of way.  This film is also a perfect response to the question you guys ask me all the time: "WHY DO WE NEED TO LEARN THIS?" (insert supplemental whining)  At the very least, exposing yourself to various works of literature leads to finding little "Easter eggs" in films, television shows, other works of literature, etc.  These allusions can really add something special to a movie, show, or book.  Plus, if you recognize the reference and no one else in the room does, don't you feel super smart?  In the case of Coraline, there is an allusion to the "What a piece of work is man" monologue from Hamlet (Act 2, Scene 2).  Would you ever have caught it if you never been exposed to Hamlet?  Below is the clip from Coraline where the acrobats are reciting the monologue.  My apologies for the poor quality.  I don't own the movie, so I had to rely on Youtube.


No comments:

Post a Comment